I’ll be the first to admit that I use the term life changing about food too much. However, when I ate Bananas, Bacon and Pancakes together for the first time, life definitely changed. I was visiting my sister in Byron Bay and she was having a sort- of Baby Shower Breakfast before the birth of my Nephew, Jahrah.
Bacon and Roasted Banana pancakes were on the menu. With one bite I realised that it was the most incredible flavour combination ever. Salty and sweet, you can’t go wrong really, right? I’ve eaten them countless times since and this past Saturday, I made this tasty version. I stumbled upon this Banana Jam by Not Quite Nigella and I knew exactly how I wanted to eat it.
I’m loving spelt flour lately and it goes amazingly well with the Banana Jam and Bacon. The jam recipe yielded about 300mL if Banana Jam, easily doubled or tripled. And it is seriously SO yum. Can’t stop eating it!
- 3 Bananas (500g)
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 teaspoon of mixed spice
- 20g of butter
- salt to taste
- 1 cup of spelt flour
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- Bacon, to serve
- Place the water and sugar in a saucepan and heat on medium until bubbling.
- Add the chopped and peeled bananas, salt, butter and mixed spice and cook until the bananas are soft.
- Place the mix in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add back to the saucepan and cook again until bubbling.
- Place in a sterlised jar.
- Whisk together all ingredients.
- Heat a non stick fry pan on medium and begin cooking the batter into pancakes.
- Turn the pancakes when bubbles form on the surface.
- Repeat with the rest of the batter.
- Fry the bacon in the pancake pan when all pancakes have been cooked.
- Serve the pancakes topped with the banana jam and bacon.
- Use a 1/4 cup measure when cooking the batter to get even pancakes.