Yay, it’s January! The time of year when you can’t go through a checkout without being bombarded with the latest diet/detox/sadness regimes from those quality magazines. I try not to buy into the new year, new you bullshit. Instead, I want to make more of a choice to eat good food all the time – less obsession and indulgence without guilt. Easy enough, right?
In saying this, I am pretty sure the last salad I touched was of the potato variety. I thought that was probably not ideal, so I put together this little salad. It’s full of wholesome, fresh ingredients. Beetroot, seeds, feta, greens, carrot, pomegranate and cabbage. It’s dressed with my favourite dressing, perfect for the new year and the rest of the summer.
- 2 cups of rocket and baby spinach
- 1/2 raw beetroot
- 1/2 large carrot
- 50g feta cheese
- 1/4 small red cabbage
- 2 tbs pumpkin seeds
- 2tbs sunflower seeds
- 1/2 tsp salt flakes
- 1/2 tbs olive oil
- 1/4 cup pomegranate arils
- 1 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp mustard
- Place the seeds, salt and oil in a pan. Toast on a medium heat until brown and popping.
- Place the spinach and rocket in a serving bowl.
- Shred the cabbage and grate the carrot and beetroot.
- Crumble the feta and remove the arils from the pomegranate.
- Place all the ingredients on top of the greens.
- Make the dressing by shaking all the ingredients in a jar.
- Dress the salad and eat!
What will you be eating the rest of the summer?