Every time my friend Isabelle comes over, she goes straight for the salted caramel jar. Each time she’d hit me up as to why I haven’t eaten any since her previous visit. Don’t get me wrong, I am salted caramel but I much prefer using it in my cooking.
This recipe is SO foolproof, easy and gives you the most luscious caramel you will eat. It could go into ice cream, in an apple pie or in cheesecake. All of which I am proud to say I have done. Check out the pictures below, hopefully they help in making sure you get some amazing caramel in your gob!
- 400 grams of caster sugar
- 125mL of water
- 150 grams of salted butter
- 250mL of cream
- sea salt flakes
- Place the sugar and the water in the base of a heavy bottom saucepan. Do not stir.
- Allow the sugar and water to come to a boil and simmer away on medium. Do not take your eyes of it!
- Once the sugar is a slight amber colour, remove from the heat and whisk in the butter.
- Once it is all combined, return to the heat and add the cream while whisking. It'll become silky and smooth and there will be no fat separating from the caramel.
- Remove from the heat and add about a teaspoon of salt and whisk. Add some more if you think it's needed.
- Allow to cool, but place in a jar while still slightly warm.
- Makes one 500mL jar.
- This will keep for about 2 months in the cupboard.
- You could play with some flavours- vanilla bean, bourbon, lavender.