Salads

Barley and Brussels Sprouts Salad with Orange Vinaigrette

July 27, 2015

Barley and Brussels Sprouts Salad with Orange Vinaigrette - erinmadethis-14

Hands up if you struggle with salad in winter? I am predicting that about 79% of you are raising that arm right now. For the other 21% of you, I give permission for you to stop reading and go eat your salad.

I am really, like really, anti-salad in Winter. I don’t ever crave it and I constantly want to eat roasted potatoes for most of the winter months. Please don’t judge. {Which I suspect you aren’t, except if one of you salad loving folk have chosen to stick around. Hi!}

Barley and Brussels Sprouts Salad with Orange Vinaigrette - erinmadethis-1

Winter salad collage

 Lately however, I’ve been trying to give salad a winter vibe. You know, roast some things, use some winter veggies- that kind of thing. This Barley and Brussels Sprouts Salad with Orange Vinaigrette was my first attempt and I fell in love. I HAD to share it here because it’s one I’ll be making again and again.

How can you go past nutty barley with thinly shaved Brussels sprouts, fresh parsley, creamy feta and crunchy almonds? I threw in some dukkah because spice is nice and that zesty Vinaigrette? Heaven. 

Barley and Brussels Sprouts Salad with Orange Vinagarette - erinmadethis-11

How is your salad game in Winter?


Barley and Brussels Sprouts Salad with Orange Vinaigrette
Serves 4
Write a review
Print
Ingredients
  1. 2 cups of cooked barley {made from 1 cup of raw}
  2. 8 large Brussels sprouts, shaved thinly
  3. 100g feta cheese, crumbled
  4. 1 tbsp dukkah
  5. 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
  6. 1/2 cup almonds, roasted and chopped
FOR THE DRESSING
  1. zest of 1 orange
  2. juice of 1 orange
  3. 1/4 cup olive oil
  4. 1 tsp salt
  5. 1 tsp pepper
  6. 1 tsp mustard
Instructions
  1. Place all dressing ingredients in a jar, shake until combined.
  2. Place all salad ingredients in a large bowl and cover with dressing.
  3. Toss salad and set aside for an hour before serving.
erin made this http://erinmadethis.com/

16 thoughts on “Barley and Brussels Sprouts Salad with Orange Vinaigrette

  1. Heather (Delicious Not Gorgeous)

    i can’t stand salads in winter, and i love them at all other times. something about the cold ingredients (even though yes, i could technically make a warm salad but that never occurs to me) and the fact that there’s not as much fun produce to put in.

    Reply
  2. Cindy

    Winter salads are tough to be enthused about! This on looks and sounds amazing, I’m definitely saving it for when winter rolls around here.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *